The Department of Emergency Medicine seeks a Director of Simulation to join Mount Sinai Morningside/West. This role is responsible for the creation and implementation of the overall vision and mission for the simulation faculty, fellowship, and simulation activities at MSM and West This includes the strategic planning as well as ongoing oversight and direction of the simulation team.
The Director of Simulation will utilize their broad experience in simulation methodology for teaching, operational improvement, quality and safety and leadership skills to create a vision for simulation at MSM and MSW. Depending on previous experience and scholarship, this role may also be considered for a co-director of the Sinai System Simulation Division.
Other responsibilities include:
- Coordinate with the System Division and Department Chair to develop innovative and comprehensive simulation programs both at MSM/W and across the Mount Sinai Health System
- Develop an operational, financial, and strategic plan to take advantage of the new ED based simulation center at Mount Sinai Morningside
- Oversee management of the Morningside Simulation Center physical plant, equipment, and programming
- Oversee a robust preexisting divisional focus on administration to improve the operations as well as clinical quality, safety and teamwork of the department
- Oversee the academic development of the simulation faculty and fellows with an expectation of ongoing academic productivity, increasing scholarship and competing for grant funding
- Work closely with the Center for Advanced Medical Simulation (CAMS) at Mount Sinai West in hospital wide and interdepartmental simulation efforts
- Coordinate with the fellowship director, medical directors and chair to assure appropriate clinical supervision and development (curriculum, teaching, evaluation, recruitment, etc/) of the fellows
- Along with the division director and residency director, provide teaching and evaluation of the residents for simulation and coordinate with the medical student directors to teach simulation
The Director will be expected to give regular updates on the status of the simulation program; and may be asked to participate in hospital and departmental committees, (e.g. quality, RCA, residency) that overlap with simulation activities. As a core faculty member, the Director will be expected to fulfill all expected core duties
- Medical Degree from an Accredited University; MBA or related degree a plus
- Current New York Medical License
- Associate Professor level or ability for promotion to same in short term preferred
- Knowledge and competency in Simulation techniques in health care and/or academic program development
- Experience managing a simulation center preferred
- Record of scholarship including publications, education and local and regional recognition.
- Board Eligible or Board Certified in Emergency Medicine
- Committed to Mount Sinai and the communities we serve
- Experience working with and inspiring faculty to collaborate in curriculum design with simulation activities is strongly preferred
- Existing relationships with simulation community preferred
The Department of Emergency Medicine is committed to excellence in emergency clinical care, education and research. The Mount Sinai Emergency Medicine System is one of the largest in the country, affiliated with Elmhurst Hospital Center, a trauma center, affiliated with Mount Sinai Urgent Care Network and is part of NYCs public health system. The Emergency Medicine Service Line has over 200 faculty and treats over 500K patients annually.
The Department of Emergency Medicine has two EM residencies along with Fellowships in Pediatric EM, Global Health, Ultrasound, Informatics, Sports Medicine, Administration, Simulation, and Research. Each year, our EM training programs educates approximately 150 residents and over 15 fellows.
As of 2020, the Icahn School of Medicine Department of Emergency Medicine is ranked among the top five (5) academic emergency departments among medical schools in the United States in National Institutes of Health funding.
The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai- An EEO/AA Employer M/F/D/V.